Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) is design to treat your individual pattern as well as symptoms of disease. Based on TCM theory, your pattern is made up of signs and symptoms, and the constitution of your body.
Why take Chinese herbal medicine and what are the advantages?
- Treating the root (cause) of a disease and not just the symptoms (branch)
- Chinese herbal medicine can relieve symptoms
- Can nourish the blood, qi (energy) and body fluids by aiding the function of internal organs to alleviate the root cause of the disease
- Herbal formulas are individualised for your health condition
- They have been used in China for more than 3,000 years – they are traditional formulas
- Few or no side effects
- Support the body’s natural ability to heal
- Supports the immune system
- Aids well-being
- Herbal formulas can be used for preventative treatments. Hay fever, for example, can be treated with a herbal formula given before spring
Do the herbs have side effects?
Chinese herbal medicines are classified as food and they very seldom have unwanted side effects. They are a gentle treatment with gradually increasing results. However, as stated above, Chinese herbal medicines are designed for the patient’s individual pattern. Even though herbs are foods the do possess strong medicinal properties, and when used incorrectly they may contribute to unwanted side effects and adverse reactions.
What can I take Chinese herbal medicine for?
Chinese herbal medicines often have unexpected positive effects. For example, a patient who came in for lower back pain and received acupuncture and herbs came back a few weeks later and reported that her chronic asthma had “miraculously” disappeared. The reason for this is that, according to the diagnosis, the cause of the lower back pain was that her kidney Qi (energy) was deficient. This was also the cause of the patient’s asthma. When the kidney was strengthened, not only the lower back pain was stopped but also the asthma naturally went away.
Ingredients of herbs
The majority of ingredients are from natural plants, which include roots, stems, twigs, tubers, rhizomes, bark, leaves, and flowers. There are no chemical additives involved and no endangered species are used at Turning Point Acupuncture.
What can Chinese herbal medicine treat?
Herbal medicine can treat a whole range of symptoms both acute and chronic
- Loss of appetite and common digestive disorders
- Constipation and diarrhea
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Common cold and influenza
- Chronic headaches
- Skin disorders
- Fluid retention (edema)
- Anxiety, depression and stress
- Rheumatoid and osteoarthritis
- Premenstrual syndrome and painful menstruation
- Excessive menstruation
- Impotence and prostate disorders
- Disorders associated with menopause
Why choose a registered TCM practitioner?
It is essential to get a consultation from an experienced registered acupuncturist or Chinese herbalist to ensure you can get an appropriate diagnosis and the correct herbal formula for your health condition.
At Turning Point Acupuncture we are nationally registered practitioners, it is important to see a TCM practitioner who is registered to administer your herbal medicine.
Until next time,
TURNING POINT ACUPUNCTURE
22 STEWART ROAD
ASHGROVE QLD 4060
PHONE: (07) 3366 7566